The 5 Steps of Surrogacy
To begin your surrogacy journey with Fertility Match you will first need to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or through our online contact form. You will then be contacted by a Fertility Match founder with more information, and after that the 5 following steps will begin.
Step 1-Application and Fertility Match Evaluation. You will first fill out and submit an application form so that we can learn more about you. The application form will ask about your lifestyle, pregnancy, medical and work history. It is crucial that you complete the application thoroughly and honestly so that we can get to know you and match you with the appropriate IPs. At this point we ask for relevant Surrogacy information such as medical records from all previous pregnancy. You will also be asked for a medical pre-screening which will include bloodwork, a pelvic ultrasound, and a psychological assessment. This can take a while to gather so you may want to call you your OB/GYN and request the records.
Step 2-Matching with Intended Parents. Once you are accepted into the Fertility Match family, we discuss information about possible Intended Parents as we build your custom match. This tailored approach is based on aligned values as well as personal, medical, psychological criteria. When everyone feels right with the selection, we arrange a match meeting to discuss all expectations during your surrogacy engagement. This is one of the most important and reaffirming steps in the journey together establishing an incredible connection between you as the Surrogate and your hopeful Intended Parents.
Step 3-Medical Work Up. Once you are matched, the medical screening process and legal process will take place. You will be meeting at the IVF Clinic with the Intended Parents physician who will speak with you in detail and perform a Surrogacy information assessment. The work up varies from clinic to clinic but often includes:
- Vaginal ultrasound-a probe is inserted into the vagina enabling the technician to look at the uterus for polyps, scar tissue, and lining thickness.
- Physical and pap smear.
- Hysteroscopy-a procedure where a small camera is placed in the uterus to look at the uterine cavity
- Medical instruction of the IVF cycle, injections, medication use and embryo transfer.
Step 4-The IVF Cycle. The IVF Nurse will give you full instructions and details about the surrogate medications needed, the medical protocol any restrictions, and expectations during the surrogate mother process.
In preparation for your uterus to receive embryos created by the couple you will:
- Likely be asked to take estrogen and progesterone in either path, pill, suppository or injection form, You may be asked to take a birth control pill to regulate and sync your menstrual cycle with the intended mom or egg donor.
- Have regular blood draws and ultrasounds to monitor the progress of the cycle
- Have an embryo transfer where a small catheter is inserted into your vagina and through to your uterus. The embryos will be placed through the catheter and into the uterus for anticipated implantation.
Step 5-Pregnancy and Delivery. This pregnancy may be different from your own pregnancies in that it is conceived via IVF and requires a little more early attention.
- You may be asked to have your blood drawn, ultrasounds or other procedures far more regularly.
- There is a possibility of multiples that may require additional office visits, bed rest, or other monitoring.
- This pregnancy is shared with the loving Intended Parents and therefore requires ongoing communication about the developing fetus, your health status, needs for support, or other matters.
- You will be participating in surrogate mother support groups and events to assure all of your questions are answered.
- Delivery is a very special time for all involved and we will work on creating a birth plan that will attempt to meet everyone’s needs.
We would love to discuss any questions that you may have on the process of Surrogacy. We’re eager to speak with you to discuss your interest, eligibility, and hopes for the perfect Surrogacy journey. Contact us through our Contact Request form or at email@example.com, and we will get back to you shortly.