Taking the first steps to become an Egg Donor is an exciting time! For most people, egg donation is a completely new experience, and the guidance of an ethical egg donation agency can make all the difference for a new Egg Donor – or someone who wants to donate again! Whatever Agency you decide on, here are four questions you need to ask – and how we would answer them at Fertility Match!
- What steps do you take to ensure your Egg Donor database is secure and private?
There are a few ways to ensure the security and privacy of your information. At Fertility Match, our Egg Donor database is secured in several ways. Technologically speaking, we ensure that we always have up to date security certificates as recommended by Google and other Internet security companies. This means that our database only opens secure sessions with users, so your information is safe with us. We also do not display any identifying information to Intended Parents on our database.
Most importantly – We don’t just rely on technological security. We also restrict access to our database to Intended Parents who we have personally spoken to and accepted into our program. Furthermore, all of these Intended Parents have provided proof from their fertility doctor that they are legitimately seeking an Egg Donor and have provided us with copies of government-issued identification. We make it a priority to know exactly who is on our database, at all times, to ensure your safety and privacy.
- How do you screen Intended Parents to make sure my eggs are going to good people?
Knowing that your eggs are going to good people is so important and we don’t take this responsibility lightly! At Fertility Match, we screen Intended Parents as much as we screen the Egg Donors accepted into our program. We know all of our Intended Parents personally by the time they select their Donor and we take the time to make sure that they are good people. Our Intended Parent application is extensive, and we do not accept anyone that we are not comfortable with into our Egg Donation Program.
- What is the Egg Donor experience like at the clinics your Agency works with?
While specific medical protocols may vary slightly between clinics, one thing that should be guaranteed is a safe and fulfilling experience for all of their Egg Donors. At Fertility Match, we only work with clinics that we trust to provide this experience to every Donor. We ensure that our Egg Donors are cycling in the best clinics in Canada with attentive and professional medical staff. We make sure that our Egg Donors are comfortable with their clinics at every step of the way and always get feedback from Donors about their experience so we can continue to make their experiences better and better.
- What are the benefits to Egg Donors in your program?
Every Egg Donation program is different and at Fertility Match we try our best to be the best. We have the highest reimbursable expenses cap in Canada (up to $8000.00). This means you will be able to claim all of the costs associated with your donation. We make it a point to show our Egg Donors how grateful we are by sending them care packages and making sure that messages of recognition from their Intended Parents are passed along.
Additionally, Fertility Match provides the highest level of support to our Egg Donors of any Agency in Canada. All Donors are provided with our Egg Donation Program Director’s direct number while going through their donation so that any questions or concerns can be addressed, 24/7 – and evenings and weekends, too. We are a phone call or text away while you are going through a donation – in case you need anything!
Becoming an Egg Donor is a big decision! We believe it’s important for every Donor to know that their Agency is there to support them throughout the entire process. At Fertility Match, we take this responsibility and privilege to heart!
For Immediate Release – Ottawa, Ontario – Sept 13, 2018
Fertility Match Canada officially launches the most advanced and vetted Egg Donor Database in Canada.
Fertility Match Canada provides fully-customized fertility consulting services to those individuals and couples that are incapable of having children on their own. The company recruits Surrogate mothers and Egg Donors that meet stringent criteria for aspiring parents.
Fertility Match was founded in early 2017 by Liz Ellwood and Lisa Casselman on the premise that all parties involved deserve well-thought out, well-researched, and customized approach to navigating the fertility industry. With their new and innovative approaches over the last 18 months, Fertility Match Canada has become the fastest growing fertility consulting agency in Canada working with the top fertility centres in Canada.
In an effort to help Intended Parents around the country find suitable Egg Donors from a trusted, secure and reliable source, the company is announcing the official launch of the most sophisticated Egg Donor base in Canada: Egg Match.
By creating an account at Egg Match, Intended Parents can peruse the profiles of a highly vetted list of qualified, pre-screened and ready-to-donate Egg Donors from across Canada. The database has a minimum of 5 adult photos of each Donor, as well as access to a wide variety of information to help make a thoughtful and informed selection. With easy-to-use menus and searchable criteria, Intended Parents can make this important decision with the information at their fingertips. No names or contact information of the donors is ever shared. Although most Donors remain anonymous, they are all willing to meet the child someday in the future.
“I’ve been in the fertility industry for 15 years, and it has never been a better time for Intended Parents to find the perfect Egg Donor to build their family”, states Liz Ellwood, co-founder of Fertility Match and cancer survivor. “I only wish I had this type of sophisticated tool to help me when I was in their shoes. It would have saved so much time and heartache!”
With 15% of Canadian couples unable to conceive on their own, Fertility Match is filling a huge gap for those Canadians who want customized fertility consulting services with the added benefits of quality choices for donors.
Lisa Casselman is Ms. Ellwood’s business partner and 2-time Surrogate. “We invested a lot of time and money into our programs to help change how an agency supports aspiring families in Canada. We personally know how hard it is to turn to strangers for guidance, service and support, and we want to deliver the best there is to our clients. The database has been unofficially open since June and we’ve already had an overwhelming response.”
Currently the database has dozens of Egg Donors of varying ethnical backgrounds and personalities. “We have thoroughly screened hundreds of applicants this year and are only choosing the best donors, not just for their physical appearance, but for their hearts, minds and personalities,” continued Ms. Ellwood. “Now all we need is for our government to implement a regulation system that ensures all agencies across Canada are held accountable and meeting the highest of standards”.
Liz Ellwood, Co-Founder, Fertility Match Canada
It’s a question we do get asked often: should I tell my child they were conceived with a donor egg? The short answer: yes. At Fertility Match, we strongly believe that you should always tell your child that they were conceived through egg donation. There are so many reasons – medical, ethical, logical, and practical – that you should tell your child the truth. We’ll cover a few in this post, but one of our Fertility Consultants is always available to chat in depth.
Honestly, one of the biggest reasons to tell your child about the realities of their conceptions is really simple: it’s inevitably going to come out anyways. With services like ancestry.ca and 23andMe, more and more people are releasing their DNA information to the world and finding genetic relatives they never knew – or were never told – they had. In the past, it was possible to keep adoptions and family histories secret enough that no one would ask questions, but with technology today that just isn’t realistic.
Not only do these services now exist, sometimes there are activities in school that might address your child’s familial history. Many high school and university biology classes now discuss genetic inheritance. Your child realizing in the middle of class that their genetics don’t make sense with yours because of their eye or hair colour or even blood type would be the worst possible way to start this conversation.
Medically speaking, telling your child about the realities of their conception (in an age appropriate way, of course – more on that in a future post) is incredibly important. When your child grows up, they may experience things you haven’t because of their genetics are different from yours. This could be something as simple as needing glasses or braces, but no matter what it’s best that your child knows the realities of their medical history so that they can get the best possible medical care throughout the course of their life.
Psychologically, it’s best for your child to know about all of this early on – otherwise, they could be dealing with feelings of betrayal because they were not told the truth, even though you had only the best of intentions, as all parents do.
At Fertility Match, we know that you have the best intentions, hopes, and dreams for your child and your family. We understand that these are hard conversations to have, and we’re here to support you every step of the way. That’s why we encourage all of our Intended Parents to come to us with their concerns and questions about this subject. We are here to talk about these things with you!
If you’re thinking about egg donation to build your family, please contact us today to talk to one of our Fertility Consultants.
Fertility Match Canada wants to change what people should expect from an Egg Donation and Surrogacy Agency in Canada. We pride ourselves on bringing a new standard of care to all of our clients – and our Egg Donor Program is no exception to this. We offer a unique, compassionate, personal approach to the journey of egg donation that allows us to make the experience a positive one for you and the Intended Parents who select you as their Donor.
It is our responsibility as an Agency to to ensure the Egg Donors in our program are supported through every step of this journey. One of the first things we tell Donors we accept into our program is that they’re now part of the Fertility Match family and we are here for them through every stage of the process.
Fertility Match Egg Donors are incredible, kind, intelligent young women who want to help someone build their family and happiness. It’s an incredibly rewarding experience; we hear great things from all of our Donors about their donations.
Here’s what our Donors have to say about the Fertility Match difference:
“I was scared to be left alone on this journey, but Liz was always just a phone call away, and just like my own mother she checked on me before and after my appointments. I couldn’t have asked for more from her.”
“My egg donation journey has been amazing. Every minor and major issue was dealt with, and it was made sure that there was no discomfort experienced by me.”
“I would recommend Fertility Match to all my friends interested in being Egg Donors. There is no other place that could make you feel good about yourself and appreciate what you are doing. I even asked my own sister to be an Egg Donor for Fertility Match.”
Is egg donation with Fertility Match right for you? Contact us today to find out – there are no obligations or costs to speak with one of our consultants.
Ten Steps to Donating Eggs in Canada
Ready to donate your eggs but not sure what to expect? At Fertility Match, we help demystify the process for Donating Eggs in Canada with our 3 part series on the egg donation process. First, let’s take a look at what Egg Donors should expect overall from beginning to end.
1. Online Application: Once you contact us, we’ll send you our Egg Donor eligibility requirements and a link to our online application for you to fill out.
2. Overview Call: Following a successful application, we will schedule an overview call. During this call, the process for Donating Eggs in Canada will be covered in further detail and any issues or questions will be addressed.
3. Medical Pre-Screening: Once your overview call is finished, we will work with one of our partner clinics to schedule medical pre-screening to make sure you’re eligible to donate.
4. Match with Intended Parent(s): At this point your profile will be created and you will be matched with a waiting Intended Parent.
5. Psychosocial Evaluation: The Psychosocial evaluation is the next step in the process for Donating Eggs in Canada. This can be done over the phone.
6. Physician Appointment: You will meet with a Physician once you have been matched. They will explain the medical protocol, do a physical exam and blood tests.
7. Independent Legal Representation: Independent legal representation will then be provided for you to go over all the points in the contract and to ensure that you feel knowledgeable and comfortable moving forward. The Intended Parent will pay all legal fees incurred by their Egg Donor.
8. Donor Cycle: The donor cycle usually then begins after your next menstrual period. Approximately 21 days after your period you will start a series of medications, which you will take until just before the egg retrieval. While taking these medications you will visit a fertility center to monitor your progress and to ensure that your ovaries are responding to the medication. These appointments may take place daily or every other day for a short period of time and the appointments do not last long.
9. Egg Retrieval: You are then ready for Egg Retrieval. The Egg Retrieval appointment is usually 3 hours in length, as it requires twilight sedation. This does not result in the person becoming unconscious but will sedate them so you should ensure you have a safe way home. The physician then uses a vaginal ultrasound probe to guide a small needle through the vaginal wall to reach the ovaries and retrieve the mature eggs.
10. Post Procedure: Following the procedure you may experience some fatigue or cramping and so should plan to spend the remainder of the day at home. The following day you should be able to resume light to normal activities but should refrain from any strenuous physical activity until the physician gives you clearance.
If you have any questions about Donating Eggs in Canada or are interested in becoming an Egg Donor and want to help couples seeking to make their dreams of a family a reality please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through our contact form. Be sure to like us on Facebook and check back for the next two parts in our Egg Donation in Canada series.
Are you Eligible to be an Egg Donor?
Fertility Match seeks to ensure that all of our prospective Egg Donors meet the expectations of the Intended Parents. Additionally, the health and safety of the Egg Donor is of the utmost priority and therefore, in order to become an Egg Donor for Fertility Match, there are several requirements you must meet:
- Be Canadian Citizen and currently living in Canada
- Have active provincial health insurance
- Be between the ages of 21 and 32
- Be a non smoker and not use recreational drugs
- Be willing to undergo a police background check
- Have not gotten tattoos or piercings in the last six months
- Have not travelled to ZIKA infected areas in the last two months
- Be in good health and have regular menstrual cycles
- Not have any significant genetic or hereditary illnesses
- Be willing to undergo psychological and medical assessments and willing to provide medical history
- Sexual partners will need to undergo infectious disease screening at a fertility centre or local blood lab
- Have no serious history of psychological issues
- Have a healthy weight to height proportion preferably with a BMI under 28
- Be willing to travel to the closest fertility clinic, lawyer and doctor appointments
- Be willing to travel to the fertility clinic used by the intended parents for the egg retrieval
- Be willing to take fertility medications and injections
- Not have had more than five previous egg retrieval cycles
Though this list may seem long each of these requirements is put in place to ensure the best outcomes and experiences for everyone involved in the process. If you have any questions about Egg Donation in Canada or the reimbursable expenses contact us at email@example.com or fill out our contact form.